Saturday 15 November 2014

Homemade Baby Cereal - Brown Rice

Packaged cereals.

How does that sound?

Preservatives. Thickeners. Artificial sweeteners, Fortified with vitamins and other stuff which I can't pronounce.

Thank goodness for organic versions these days. Gives all the mamas and papas some peace of mind. Especially when we are travelling and working parents.

My brother reminds me once in awhile,  'if you can't understand the ingredients,  are you sure you would want to put it in your tummy?'
I of course went blah and straight to my koko krunch thank you very much.

Now I have a baby.
And I'm a stay-at-home-mama.

Got me thinking, I should use this opportunity to make homemade food for Bubs whenever I can.

Hence I joined this group on Facebook called Healthy food for babies. Such a great group with friendly advises and nutritious meals for little ones.

I was inspired by Jennifer Lee (a nutritionist who started the fb group) to make my own cereals.
To grain or not to grain?
If you are skeptical about whether or not to introduce grains, here are links to two very different opinions;


Bubs has been on breastmilk, fruit & vegetables pureè the past 2 months. I'm comfortable at the idea of introducing grains now as a another complementary meal, emphasising more on broths, yolks, fruits and vegetables. 

I start by purchasing organic brown rice. Brown rice are unpolished hence it nutrients has not been stripped down. Some of the nutrients it carries are as follows:


  • Fiber
  • Selenium
  • Vitamin B (various)


Took out a cup full and soaked it at room temperature for about 7 hours.


Later, I gave it a rinse, spread it on a tray and popped it in the oven at 180 C  till it turn brown. Other options are to dry pan-fry it or leave it out under sun.


Finally cool it and blend. Store in a air tight tupperware in the fridge for a week or so.

Blend longer if you wish to achieve a powder form. I want it grainy.

Easy!
It's pretty simple, only the soaking takes up time.
Why I soaked? The brown rice cereal will be easier to digest for lil gentle tummies. Soaking applies to any grains introduced e.g. brown rice, millet, quinoa, etc.
To cook, all you gotta do cook it like you normally would do with rice. Add water according to your preference, how runny or thick you want it to be.

Brown rice and broccoli puree
In this era, it's really a challenge purchasing food as natural as possible. Organic fruits, vegetables, oils, cereals, etc., are all pretty expensive in this part of the world. Plus with some unreliable sources from the medical professionals and I-just want-to-make-money marketing & advertising schemes, we really are on our own aren't we?
As parents, we all do our best, and I feel it's okay if we succumb to random purchases once in awhile. I wasn't a breastfed baby, ate all sorts of stuff and I turned out fine...or at least I think so. Tee hee.

I'm sending a virtual pat on your back for always doing what you can for your lil gems. All Mama's and Papa's only want the best.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

Kisses and warm hugs from That Skinny Elephant.

No comments:

Post a Comment